Why Campers Love Us
It’s hard to put into words why campers love Camp Woodmont. Maybe it’s the tradition of waking up to the camp trombone every morning or sleeping out under the stars. Perhaps it’s the comfort of milk-n-cookies we bring around to the campers’ bunks each night. For 30+ years children have called Camp Woodmont their ‘home away from home.’
We are a traditional camp in every sense of the word. Our program is structured and the campers know what is scheduled, every day, every hour. No surprises. Knowing exactly what to expect makes a child feel safe and secure. And safe is good. That predictability, and associated comfort that comes along with it, is why children treasure traditions at Camp Woodmont.
Safety is a big deal at Camp Woodmont. Just ask our staff! We take every safety and health precaution possible to prevent illness and injuries. We have two full-time nurses all summer. In fact, an entire building was named after Nurse Pat, who’s volunteered for us the last decade!
Parents love that Camp Woodmont is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA) for quality programs, safety standards and more! You can rest assured our camp meets the highest standards in the industry. Certified lifeguards and instructors in all activities are essentials in providing a safe camp experience.
But what about your child’s emotional safety at camp? Parents tend to be concerned about their child fitting in at camp and being well adjusted. We participate in a national program called, “Don’t Laugh at Me,” which promotes acceptance of all children regardless of physical characteristics. We do not allow any pranks, harassment, mean-spirited teasing, bullying or any other practice that would harm a child’s emotional well-being at camp. And that’s why kids feel safe and at home at Camp Woodmont.
Our Staff Training
Selecting staff is one thing. Training them is another. Our week-long mandatory staff training is intense. We cover everything from leadership development skills to health and safety issues to how to handle homesickness and manage personality conflicts. We role play, rehearse emergency drills and review every policy and procedure. We use teaching tools from top camp industry experts to ensure our counselors are ready for any situation. And we preach the importance of safety, both physically and emotionally! We teach the counselors how to turn up everything to 212 degrees (the temperature in which boiling water generates enough force to power a locomotive.) One extra degree of effort makes all the difference and reaps 10x the results. Turn up the heat! That’s our mindset at Camp Woodmont. And it pays off!
Climbing Wall Training, Horseback, Archery and Lifeguarding Certification classes are held separately from the week-long mandatory staff training.
Our Limited Enrollment
and Sense of Community
Unlike other camps that can accommodate hundreds of campers, Camp Woodmont has a very limited enrollment. We average 85 campers each week. But because we’re small, we provide a close, family-like atmosphere. This is where the “comfort factor” comes into play, especially with first-time campers. The Directors and Staff get to know each camper on a first-name basis. It’s all part of our “camp community,” where kids can be kids without Mom or Dad.
Top 5 Reasons
Your Child Needs Camp Woodmont
- Level Playing Field – Camp Woodmont provides a rich environment full of new friends, monumental achievements and memorable activities. We provide supportive relationships, challenging opportunities, but most importantly, we give all children a level playing field from the start—without the pressures of school or suburban life. Everyone is equal at Camp Woodmont.
- Camp Changes Your Child for the Better – Campers’ parents have reported that when their children return home from camp they are more mature and responsible, and are more equipped to stand up for what they know is right.
- Unplug from Society and Enjoy the Outdoors – Imagine your child choosing an outdoor activity over the cell phone or a video game. At Camp Woodmont, we focus on the importance of outdoor activities, while learning to live in a group setting. Camp is a place to develop face-to-face relationships and reflect on nature. It’s about kids being kids in a safe, comforting environment without the pressures of technology.
- We Keep ‘Em Moving - Whether it’s a fast-paced game of capture-the-flag or just a walk to arts & crafts room, our campers enjoy a lot of physical activity they otherwise would not get at home or school! And let’s face it, the more physical activity… the better for everyone!
- It’s FUN! - Maybe it’s the goofy counselors, camping out under the stars or just hanging out with friends, but there’s something about Camp Woodmont that goes so deep under the skin that kids, and now adults, reminiscence about upon years later. It’s hard to describe, but it’s good ‘ole fashioned fun!